Sabahar is a member of the World Fair Trade Organization (WFTO). We are one of only three artisanal companies in Ethiopia to be members of WFTO.
Fair Trade is a trading partnership, based on dialogue, transparency and respect that seeks greater equity in international trade. It contributes to sustainable development by offering better trading conditions to, and securing the rights of, marginalized producers and workers.
Being a Fair Trade company, our buyers can be assured that we abide by strict principles of ethical work practices, fair pay and positive work environment that promote income generation. The ten standards of Fair Trade are:
- Creating opportunities for economically disadvantaged producers
- Being transparent and accountable to employees and producers
- Trade with concern for the social, economic and environmental well-being of marginalized small producers and do not maximize profit at their expense
- Pay a fair price to employees and producers
- Do not engage in child labour or forced labour
- Actively promote non discrimination, gender equity and freedom of association
- Provide a safe and healthy working environment
- Build the capacity of employees and producers
- Promote Fair Trade
- Respect the environment